Last Second Basket Downs Keuka College in Overtime

Photo by Ed Webber
Photo by Ed Webber

COBLESKILL, N.Y. – SUNY Cobleskill made a jumper with three seconds left in overtime to down Keuka College 59-57 on Saturday in North Eastern Athletic Conference play.

Keuka (1-5, 0-2 NEAC) drops their second conference game of the season. The Green and Gold will look for their first NEAC victory tomorrow as they take on the SUNY Poly Wildcats in Marcy, N.Y.

Greg Tyler led Keuka with 17 points. Casey Williams recorded a double-double with 10 points and 10 rebounds. Freshman Trevor Powell was also in double digits with 12 points in the loss.

As a team, Keuka held a +20 rebounding advantage over the Fighting Tigers. The advantage on the offensive end led to 14 second chance points. Cobleskill had the advantage, however, in shooting the tree ball. They made seven three pointers while Keuka was unable to make one.

Both teams struggled to find the basket early on. The Fighting Tigers got the first basket of the game, a three pointer, over two minutes in. The Green and Gold went on a 10-2 run over the next five minutes to take the early lead. Keuka would maintain the lead for the rest of the half. They were able to grow the advantage to double-digits, 25-15, following a jumper by Devin Cooper with 1:39 left in the half. Keuka would carry a 26-17 advantage into the break.

SUNY Cobleskill spent the first part of the second half attempting to get back into the game. They went on a 7-0 run to narrow the margin to three, 30-27. James Outlaw made a layup with 12 minutes left in the game to end the run and push Keuka's advantage back to five points. The Fighting Tigers hit back to back three pointers, the second coming with 8:34 left to play, to take the lead from Keuka, 35-34. It was amidst a 12-2 run by Cobleskill which saw their lead grow to 40-36. The margin grew to as many as five points, but Keuka would not go away. Greg Tyler converted a three point play with 1:28 left to play to tied the game at 48-48. Following a basket by the Tigers, Tyler made a pair of free throws to once again tie the game with 19 seconds left to play. The Green and Gold forced a turnover with two seconds left to fore the game into overtime.

The Fighting Tigers took the quick lead in overtime off a three point basket. Keuka responded and the teams traded points. Devin Cooper made a put-back layup halfway through the period to narrow the margin to one. The Green and Gold took the lead with a pair of free throws by Casey Williams with just under two minutes left. Cobleskill quickly took the lead back and then forced Keuka into a turnover with a steal. With under 30 seconds left, Casey Williams missed a jumper, but was able to collect his own rebound and was fouled. He went 1-2 from the line to tie the game at 57-57 with 24 seconds left to play. However, Cobleskill made a basket with three seconds left and Keuka's final attempt was stolen as the Fighting Tigers defeated Keuka College 59-57 in overtime.